Professor Cai has been engaged in the research of mechatronics, metrology, control of nonlinear systems and robotics for many years. He is a member of IEEE. Before joining HKUST, he was an assistant professor of mechanical engineering at Columbia University in New York City, USA (1990-1993).
- MECH3610 Control Principles
- MECH4710 Introduction to Robotics
Control of nonlinear systems
Sensors and instrumentation
- L. Cai and J. Zhang , “Interferometer Systems for Straightness Measurement”, US Patent, No. 5757491, May 26, 1998.
- L. Cai and J. Zhang , “Auto-focus Laser Encoder Having Three Light Beams and a Reflective Grating”, US Patent, No. 5825023, October 20, 1998.;
- L. Cai and W. Zhou , “Positioning Apparatus for Hard Disk Servo-writer”, US Patent No. 6,191,911B1, Feb. 20, 2001.